Our Beloved Mascot, Spokesperson, and P.R. Representative

Our Beloved Mascot, Spokesperson, and P.R. Representative

Friday, September 2, 2011

The start of something new


Boredom!

Boredom, is God's way of saying "Get off your lazy posterior and go jogging or read a book and maybe learn something." But, if you are reading this you are aware of the fact that I have found a loophole in this system, I am neither learning or getting any healthier sitting here writing this, I'm not even getting paid for this, so why do I do it? Boredom, that's why.


Boredom in the Workplace

Often people become bored when they are forced to spend 8 hours a day using a computer in an obscenely huge cubicle farm, with a boss that has similar qualities to this:

Synergy? Isn't that the new Chinese restaurant down the street?

As a lowly naive high school student, I have not yet entered the professional world, as such, I honestly have no idea what I'm talking about, but I do have a part time job, but it involves manual labor in a condition with no A/C or an office fridge. So I believe I have the right to gripe.

Boredom in School

School, in my opinion, is to much, to often, for to long. Let me "Splain" as my English teacher would say. (I'm pretty sure a english teacher saying "Splain" is the equivalent to a preacher saluting hitler, but lets not dwell on the negatives) School, as I said before, to much, to often, for to long, I have come to this conclusion because of several reasons:
  • School lasts on average between 6 and 7 hours out of the day
  • They often start anywhere from 7:00 to 8:00 (My school starts at 8:00)
  • School generally consists of 8 Periods, each about 45 minutes to an hour long, I think, this is too much information being taken in at one time from too many different directions to efficiently learn anything.
  • School ruins your day. My High School lets out at 3:30 every day, the buses run, and I am not home until 4:00 4:30, Athletics is last period, so I am routinely exhausted when I get home, so I know have exactly 5 hours to rejuvenate before I must sleep, I say 5 hours because if I do not fall asleep by 9:30, I will fall asleep walking from class to class.
"Wait, what does that have to do with boredom?" ooh you clever guy! I have yet to mention boredom, because of this influx of information coming from 8 different subjects in the course of hours, your mind decides that it doesn't want to play nice anymore, so it shuts off, and decides that the little shoe scuff on the floor is the most important thing in the room and your mind must focus on it. Trent Reznor could walk in and start handing out free dark chocolate, and your mind would not let you take your eye off of the mark on the floor. I think schools should aim more into the "Learn what you enjoy" type of learning. I enjoy computers, engines, and taking things apart, I plan to attend MIT and get a degree in Mechanical Engineering, because of my goals in life, I don't really need to know that the land between the Tigris and Euphrates River is called Mesopotamia, or that FDR created the New Deal. I mean sure, its good to know about the history of your country and the geography of the world, so you don't look like a complete idiot, but really, theres a point where if you are showing no promise in becoming a cartographer or archeologist, where you could lean into more fitting subjects.


Boredom at Home

Picture this: You made it through high school without having a mental breakdown, you've been at some crappy community college for a while now. Not long enough to have made any friends, but long enough to where you can easily come up with an excuse to live in your parents house for a few days. You call your parents, there on a cruise to alaska and won't be home for 2 weeks! So you have free reign of the house. The first few thoughts that run through your head are "Party" "Booze" "Good Time" and then you remember that you have no friends, and your girlfriend is 1200 miles away at another college actually preparing for life in the future. So, for the first 3 days you sit around, catch up on some Mythbusters that your parents have on their DVR, eating ramen noodles. Then you look to your left, you see a pile of crushed Mountain Dew cans, you look to the left and see a bag of Cheetos on the floor, spilling over, the chips falling over at that awkward point where ou think they will stay if you pick up the bag, but 35 little shafts of cheese will come blasting out at the slightest touch. You see all this, and you think to yourself "What am I doing? I have nothing to do, no job no responsibilities, nothing." So, you grab your keys and head for the door, you drive around for 45 minutes looking for some cheesy sports bar. You finally find one that doesn't look like Satan himself is managing it and you go in buy a few drinks, and the next thing you know, you're passed out on the floor in a puddle of your own pee/vomit(You neither know nor care) When you finally wake up, your head is splitting like a quart of firewood, and the sound of your socked feet almost silently falling on the wood floor of your parents bathroom is like a C-130 full of prison inmates, and you decide you will never do that again. Then 3 or 4 days later, the cycle starts over, until you go back to college and those lulls where there is nothing? There is homework and sucking up to teacher. There is no known cure to boredom in the home, except for you know, starting a blog and complaining about, which seems to work alright for me.

Ladies and Gentlemen, boredom is no joke, it is a serious problem, that needs to be researched and cured. Wether or not that is possible is debatable, but until a decision is made, I recommend you to read my blog, comment, follow me on twitter, and tell every, single, one of your facebook friends, in person, about my blog. That right there should take about quite a bit of your time. Have fun, and don't forget to drink plenty of water, I defiantly don't need my free advertising falling into an everlasting slumber* on me.




*I used those colorful words because I for the life me cannot figure
out how to spell the -ing form of the word die, don't you just love English?


No comments:

Post a Comment